The application should be submitted in the last year of the Bachelor's programme / 1st Master's semester (15-18 months before the planned stay at URI). If selected, applicants will be conditionally admitted to the Dual Degree Programme, but must have been accepted for a Master's programme at TU Darmstadt before beginning their stay in the USA. Students who were not previously enrolled at TU Darmstadt can apply for the Master's program after enrolment.
The application must be received by the Office for Student Affairs of the department by November 30th of the respective year.
After TUDa/URI has reviewed the submitted application documents, a personal interview with the student will take place in December.
More information about the organization here:
Application documents (deadline ends on Nov. 30th)
- of the Online application formInternational Relations & Mobility Office
- Preliminary Study Plan
- Tabular curriculum vitae in German and English
- Performance review in German and English
- Letter of motivation in German and English
- Current language certificate
If students are selected, their study plan for their stays at TU Darmstadt and URI must be approved by the respective department.
Selected students must then apply to the URI Graduate School by January 31st. The following documents must be submitted with the online application: Online application form, overview of academic achievements including grades, letter of intent, two letters of recommendation, and proof of English language skills. Upon successful acceptance at the URI, a copy of the passport and proof of funding must be sent to the Office of International Students & Scholars, who will then prepare the required DS- 2019 form needed to apply for a J-1 visa.
Curriculum and thesis
(opens in new tab)
Dual Master Degree University of Rhode Island (URI). Module Recognition List
Students of TU Darmstadt who spend their second year of the Master's program at URI have to discuss the topic of the Master's thesis with their supervisor at the TU Darmstadt and the supervisor at URI. The thesis should be written at URI from the beginning of the semester in early September until the end of August of the following year.
All students of the TU Darmstadt should
- have a professor from URI and a professor from TU Darmstadt as supervisor of the Master’s thesis.
- decide which courses to attend and find a suitable topic for the Master's thesis.
- begin research work for the Master's thesis already alongside attending the selected courses.
- be aware that the American university system provides for homework, inquiries, and intermediate and final exams.
- plan that 2-3 additional hours per week must be spent on each course, as well as research for the Master's thesis.
- The thesis must be written in a suitable form and defended orally.
- Students must register for their Master's thesis at their home university.
More information : A member of TU Darmstadt may be a member of the examination board. The other members of the board of examiners should be selected according to the rules of the URI “graduate manual”. The oral defence can be conducted in person or via video conference. here
TU Darmstadt students have to follow the regulations of the URI application procedure. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that proof of academic achievements at URI is forwarded to TU Darmstadt at the end of each semester.